Modification of Spousal Support
Divorce Lawyer in Kirkland
A petition for modification of spousal support can be made by either ex-spouse. The amount to be paid or the duration of support can both be modified by the court. In making a determination on such matters, the needs of the recipient and the supporting spouse's ability to pay will both be considered. A
Kirkland divorce attorney can assist in the many circumstances under which a modification may be requested, such as:
- A general cost of living increase
- An increase or decrease in the recipient's income
- An increase or involuntary decrease in the supporting spouse's income
- A disability affecting either spouse's income or living costs or situation
- A financial emergency affecting either spouse (for example, a large medical bill)
- The recipient's loss of his or her home
- The recipient's remarriage or cohabitation with another person
- A change in the laws of the state with jurisdiction
Modifications in Kirkland, Bellevue and Redmond
At Carillon Point Family Lawyers, we can help you through each step of the process of pursuing a spousal support modification. Along with the petition, the requesting party must disclose their financial records to the court. We will ensure these are clearly prepared and provide the information the court will need in order to move the process forward. If an agreement can be reached between you and your ex-spouse, the court can approve the modification without the need for a trial. Our firm can assist in attempting to achieve an agreement with your ex-spouse. We understand this can be an emotionally charged area and can tactfully but firmly negotiate in an attempt to achieve a satisfactory outcome. If a trial is necessary, we can energetically and competently represent you in court.
Contact a Kirkland divorce lawyer
if a change in circumstances is causing you are seeking to receive more or pay less spousal support.